1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1½ cups chopped pitted dates
1½ cups water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Bring the water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add the dates and
simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent dates from
sticking, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8X8 square baking pan.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, sugar,
walnuts, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Press half of the flour mixture into the bottom of the baking pan. Press firmly with your fingers so that the bottom crust will hold together.
4. Gently spread the date mixture over the bottom crust. Pour the remaining flour mixture on top and press gently to make an even top crust.
5. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until the crust starts browning. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
294 calories, 13g fat, 6g sat fat, 42g carbohydrates, 5g protein, 245mg sodium, 4g fiber
Central Offices — 205 W. Highland Ave. STE 501, Milwaukee, WI 53203 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios