What we're doing to help:
In a perfect world there would be no waste. At Outpost, we strive to reduce packaging waste by making informed choices when selecting the products we use in our stores and cafes.
Some of the highlights in our packaging include:
- Deli grab-and-go containers are all #1 plastic for ease of recycling anywhere.
- For customers who are dining in, meals are served on china plates with metal flatware.
- The paper shopping bags Outpost offers to customers are certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative, which means that the trees harvested for bag production are grown using sustainable forestry practices and are composed of up to 40% post-consumer waste. They are also printed using soy ink.
- We also sell Outpost canvas tote bags and National Cooperative Grocers branded bags that we encourage customers to use!
- Produce bags are #2 recyclable and made from 30% post-industrial recycled content.
- Bulk bags are polyethylene #4 recyclable.
- Outpost's hot bar containers (the brown oval ones) and hot beverage cups are made out of miscanthus fiber by World Centric, which is pioneering a new form of sustainable product development. They are compostable in municipal or commercial compost facilities. They are NOT suitable for backyard composting. To learn more about this innovative and American-made company please watch the really interesting video below:
- Trays for prepacked foods are compostable by NatureTRAY™; which is made from annually renewable resources.