See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
7:00 am - 8:00 pm Outpost Tosa
7:30 am - 8:00 pm Capitol Dr, Bay View and Mequon
2-3 strips smoky bacon – we like Nueske’s Cherry Wood Smoked
1 medium white onion, sliced thin
8 oz. smoked meat, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
(smoked turkey, ham, or your choice)
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
2-3 peeled fresh garlic cloves, crushed
2-3 large bunches collard greens, thick end portions of stems removed & roughly chopped to about 2-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Chopped tomatoes & hot sauce for garnish
1. Heat a large stock pot or deep pan over medium heat and brown bacon. Remove when crispy and reserve, leaving drippings in pot.
2. Sauté onion in drippings until soft.
3. Add smoked meat and stir briefly about 1 minute. Then add broth, water, and garlic. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add collard greens, cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Simmer gently, uncovered for 1 hour or until greens reach desired tenderness. Stir occasionally; add additional water or broth sparingly if needed.
5. Serve topped with freshly chopped tomatoes and crumbled reserved bacon. For a spicy kick, top with your favorite hot sauce.
Central Offices — 3200 S. 3rd St. Milwaukee, WI 53207 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios