See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
7:00 am - 8:00 pm Outpost Tosa
7:30 am - 8:00 pm Capitol Dr, Bay View and Mequon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup almond milk (or vegan egg replacer)
2 cups spelt flour
1 pound carrots (shredded)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 ounces Tofutti cream cheese
4 tablespoons Earth Balance spread
3 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray inside of jars with cooking oil spray
2. In food processor, combine sugar, oil, almond milk and applesauce. Pulse for 10-20 seconds. Using the shredder disk, shred carrots into the mixture.
3. Transfer carrot mixture to a mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until all ingredients are combined, about one minute.
4. Fill jars half full. If you have more batter than jars, put the rest in a baking dish.
5. Place jars in a shallow baking dish with 1/2 inch of water at the bottom. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched. Cool and spoon a dab of frosting on top.
1. Combine frosting ingredients in a high speed blender. Start the blender on low and gradually increase speed. Add an extra tablespoon of almond milk if necessary to get the blade moving. Add more sugar or lemon to taste.
2. Blend until very smooth.
3. Chill for at least 30 minutes before spreading to firm it up.
Per serving: 379 calories, 16g fat, 3g sat fat, 58g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 284mg sodium, 4g fiber
Revised from www.loveandlemons.com
Central Offices — 3200 S. 3rd St. Milwaukee, WI 53207 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios