At Outpost, Compost Happens
Outpost strives to reduce waste at the source and treat it in a way that sustains all living systems, through reusing, donating, recycling, and composting. One way we do this is through an organization-wide composting program. Best of all, ALL Outpost locations are actively collecting compostable materials!
We partner with local companies and organizations to do the composting for us. Keeping it local allows us to better monitor what goes in and what comes out. Another really awesome benefit of this is that Outpost can purchase some of the compost back and make it available for purchase by our customers or it is donated to local community gardens. Compost starts at Outpost and returns to Outpost. Nothing ends up as waste!
Outpost is making its own compost!
In 2013 Outpost began composting. Every day pre-consumed food scraps from our central kitchen, produce departments, and cafés, get stored in outdoor containers.
It gets hauled weekly to Blue Ribbon Organics (Formally The Farm’s Composting) site in Caledonia, a DNR-licensed food and yard waste compost facility, where it's processed into compost.
AND NOW, that compost is available for sale at all Outpost store locations.
It is as close as a closed-loop system as one can find.
Compost is one of the best things you can use to enhance your soil, strengthen your plants root systems, and improve water retention. You can use it for any indoor or outdoor plants.
Benefits of composting
- Diverts waste from going to the landfill
- Reduces harmful green house landfill gases
- Contributes to building healthy soil for farmers and gardeners
- Finished compost is a healthy alternative to chemical based fertilizers
- Saves the co-op money in landfill fees
Our composting partners!
- A locally owned hauler that’s goal is to divert 50 – 75 % from the landfill waste stream by creating a organics recycling channel to certified compost sites.
- Their community commitment is return the compost to the community so it can be utilized to its highest purpose. Through their “Dumpster to Dirt” program, Compost Crusaders donates 1 yard of compost to the community for every 20,000 pounds of raw material diverted.
- Picks up compost at our Central Offices, State Street, Capitol Drive and Bay View locations
- Picks up compost from our Mequon store location