1. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil and add pasta. In the last minute or two of cooking, add the broccoli. Once pasta and broccoli reach the desired texture, drain and rinse with cold water to stop both ingredients from further cooking.
2. In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic cloves.
3. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, minced shallot, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper.
4. Toss pasta, broccoli, tomatoes, bell pepper, and olives with dressing and serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
5. For variety, you can add any of the following ingredients to this recipe: feta cheese, marinated mushrooms, pepperoncini peppers, roasted zucchini, anchovies or salami.
Per serving: 387 calories, 15g fat, 2g sat fat, 53g carbohydrates, 12g protein, 83mg sodium, 6g fiber