1. Soak dried beans overnight or do a ‘quick soak’ by placing beans into a large pot, covering with water, bring to a boil then turn off and let sit for one. Drain and rinse.
2. Drain beans and refill pot with chicken stock. If stock doesn’t cover beans add water until beans are covered by about a 1/2 inch or so. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are almost done. Check beans and stir making sure there is enough liquid to cover beans and ensure they are not sticking to pan.
3. While the beans are cooking, brown bacon in a large skillet. When bacon is browned, remove from pan and reserve. Add onions and jalapenos into the bacon fat and cook until softened. Then add garlic and cook for about a minute or so. Add tomatoes and stir well. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. When beans are almost done, stir in beer, tomato/onion/bacon mixture, oregano and half the chopped cilantro. Continue to cook uncovered for another hour or until beans are tender.
5. Add salt and pepper and mix well. With a potato masher crush some of beans to thicken the liquid. Adjust seasonings and serve with freshly chopped cilantro.