See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
7:00 am - 8:00 pm Outpost Tosa
7:30 am - 8:00 pm Capitol Dr, Bay View and Mequon
1 pound dry navy beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos or soy sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (look in the Asian foods section)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1. Add the navy beans to a pot and cover with two inches of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then remove from the heat, cover, and let soak for 1 hour.
2. Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat and sauté onions until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Drain the soaked beans, then add to the slow cooker along with the onion and garlic. Add the vegetable broth and stir.
4. In a small bowl, combine Bragg aminos through brown sugar – do not add salt, corn starch or water yet - add Bragg mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
5. Cook on high for 7-8 hours, until beans are soft and the liquid has thickened a bit.
6. Stir cornstarch and salt into the water then add to the pot of beans and stir. Let sit about 5 minutes to thicken a bit before serving.
Central Offices — 3200 S. 3rd St. Milwaukee, WI 53207 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios