See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
7:00 am - 8:00 pm Outpost Tosa
7:30 am - 8:00 pm Capitol Dr, Bay View and Mequon
12 ounces dry flageolet or cannellini beans
1 quart Pacific brand mushroom stock
1 19-ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juice
3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
4 thyme sprigs
2 parsley sprigs
3 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 medium carrots, halved and cut into half-inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into inch-wide pieces
2 tablespoons minced parsley (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Rinse beans and put in slow cooker. Add quart of mushroom stock, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
2. Add chopped garlic, bay leaf, thyme sprigs and parsley. Stir mixture.
3. Cook in slow cooker on high for two hours. After two hours add the remaining cut vegetables.
4. Cook in slow cooker another two hours, about four hours total cooking time, or until beans are tender.
5. When the beans are tender, discard herb sprigs and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and stir in minced parsley.
6. Optional – drizzle with olive oil or add some butter and serve with crusty French bread, et Voila!
Per serving: 166 calories, 1g fat, 33g carbohydrates, 721mg sodium, 10g protein, 10g fiber, 111mg calcium
Central Offices — 3200 S. 3rd St. Milwaukee, WI 53207 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios