See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
7:00 am - 8:00 pm Outpost Tosa
7:30 am - 8:00 pm Capitol Dr, Bay View and Mequon
3 cups all-purpose flour + more for dusting counter
1 tablespoon baking powder
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
2 sticks (8 oz.) unsalted butter, room temperature, cubed
3 large eggs, room temperature
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
7 tablespoons lemon juice (approximately 3-4 lemons)
1/4 cup nonpareils for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make cookies, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. Place butter in mixer with paddle attachment. Add sugar and zest and beat for about four minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined after each egg.
5. Add vanilla and lemon juice; reduce speed to low.
6. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until combined. Don’t over mix!
7. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of dough onto a lightly floured surface. Dough will be sticky. Roll dough into a log about 4 inches long and as thick as a roll of pennies. Bring ends together and lightly press them together to form a doughnut shape. Place cookie on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
8. Repeat until all the dough is rolled out and shaped. Place cookies about 1-1/2 inches apart.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes (depending on your oven) or until they turn a light golden yellow and the bottoms are lightly brown.
10. Transfer cookies to wire rack that has been placed over parchment paper to cool. The paper helps catch the dripping glaze when decorating.
11. To make the glaze, slowly whisk the powdered sugar into the lemon juice. If you like a thicker glaze add more sugar.
12. Dip cookies in glaze and place back on wire rack. The glaze will begin to harden and set immediately, so add your nonpareil sprinkles before starting on the next cookie.
13. Allow to completely dry before packing, eating, or storing.
Central Offices — 3200 S. 3rd St. Milwaukee, WI 53207 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios