The above information will be used only by Outpost Natural Foods for the express purpose of sending an e-newsletter. Outpost shopper information is never shared with other organizations or businesses.
Essentials on Salmon
Essentials on SalmonBrown bears know a thing or two about the delicious flavor of salmon. Salmon’s rich oils, fats and protein is like manna from heaven to a bear, and ensure for it a long and healthy hibernation. Which is exactly the lesson to be learned from our bear friends – fill up on Alaskan salmon! Here’s why:
- High in naturally occurring Omega-3 fatty acids (the good kind of fats), particularly DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)
- Helps to lower cholesterol, protect against heart attacks, reduce inflammation, lower your chances of developing cancer, cut your risk of Alzheimer’s
- A low-fat, high-quality source of protein
- Free of colorings, pesticides or antibiotics that can be found in farmed salmon
- Marine Stewardship Council certified sustainable
Due to their remote locations, Alaska is home to some of the most pristine sources of coastal waters, rivers and streams on earth. These fragile ecosystems are carefully protected from development and other industrial pressures. Wild Alaskan salmon from these areas are allowed to swim, live and spawn as they have done for millennia, ensuring a healthy, returning population year after year. They live the natural life of fish, eating a typical diet of microscopic plants, small fish and other sea creatures.
Because they range higher on the food chain than other fish, salmon can store high levels of PCBs (polychlorinated biphenols), PBDEs (polybrominted diphenyl ethers) and other industrial chemicals in their body fat. No salmon is immune to these man-made contaminants. However, wild Alaskan salmon have the lowest levels of any North American salmon, wild caught or farmed. When you eat this fish, you are eating only the best!
Outpost Natural Foods buys premium wild caught Alaskan sockeye, coho and king salmon from Steve and Jenny Roth of Alaskan Mariners, a small family owned and run operation. They fish in the cold, clean waters off Kodiak Island. Our fish mongers greatly value the relationship with the Roths as we are one of only a few select stores to be able to offer this kind of high quality, environmentally sensitive product on a year-round basis.
So, be like a brown bear and eat Outpost pure Alaskan wild caught salmon. It’s delicious, nutritious and will make you big and strong.
- Roasted Alaskan Salmon with Honey & Balsamic Glaze
- Sesame Crusted Wild Alaska Salmon with Lime Ginger Butter
- Mini Salmon Cakes
- Simple Salmon with Mustard Crust