3 15-ounce cans navy beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups yellow onion, minced
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium carrots, diced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup grainy prepared mustard
1/4 cup dark molasses
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 15-ounce can low sodium diced tomatoes
1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350˚.
2. Empty the cans of beans into a colander; drain and rinse thoroughly. Set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add onion, spices and salt; cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add carrots, garlic and bell pepper, stir to combine and turn heat to low. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
5. Stir in the mustard, honey, molasses and vinegar. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the tomatoes with all their liquid. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and gently stir in beans.
6. Transfer to a 9x13-inch pan, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Top with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 260 calories, 5g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 47g carbohydrates, 11g protein, 409mg sodium, 12g fiber
Central Offices — 205 W. Highland Ave. STE 501, Milwaukee, WI 53203 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios